Major Project I
21/4/2026 - 29/7/2026 (Week 1 - Week 15)
Chang Wing / 0367807
Major Project I / Bachelors of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
TABLE OF CONTENTS
REFLECTION
This module felt special to me, painful at times, but rewarding enough to make the process worthwhile. The process of proposing our idea and repeatedly trying to convince the lecturer was never something that got approved in one shot, it made me realise the importance of being able to articulate an idea and, more importantly, convince others of its value just to get a project started. Sometimes, people do not immediately understand an idea, its significance, or why it is worth pursuing, and I think that was one of the biggest things I learnt from this module. As designers, it is not enough to simply have a good idea, we also need to communicate it clearly and be able to convince our stakeholders, the more convincing evidence we can provide, such as user interviews, research findings, and analysis, the easier it becomes for stakeholders or clients to understand why the idea matters and why it should be pursued.
As our project explored a more abstract idea, how memories can be preserved in a unique way and why they should be preserved, I did not expect reaching a consensus within our group to be so challenging. Because the concept itself was open to different interpretations, each of us had our own understanding of what the project could become and what it should communicate, we first had to make sure that all of us were on the same page. There was no quick solution to this, we had to consistently communicate with one another, clarify our intentions, remind each other of our shared direction, and continuously iterate whenever we identified issues. Conflicts were unavoidable at times, but they made me realise how important it is for designers to understand one another, tolerate different perspectives, and compromise when necessary. Not everyone thinks in the same way, nor do we always have the same goals in mind. Major Project I taught me that collaboration is not about making everyone think the same way, but about finding a direction that everyone can understand and work towards together.
As I explored the more technical side of our project, particularly developing a functional prototype to demonstrate the core user flow, I also had the opportunity to experiment with using AI agents to assist with coding. This was something I found particularly interesting, as I see it as a direction I would like to explore in the future, I wanted to become a designer who not only understands design, but also has enough technical knowledge to build and open up more possibilities through technology to turn ideas into working experiences.
Ultimately, I just want to learn as much as I can from every opportunity, whether it is through design, technology, collaboration, or simply the challenges that come with developing an idea from nothing into something tangible. This module did not necessarily give me all the answers, but it gave me a better understanding of what it takes to move an idea forward, work with people who think differently, and communicate an idea well enough for others to see its value.
Comments
Post a Comment